TWO-HOUR DELAYED START/ CLOSURE
If adverse weather conditions occur, the District Superintendent may delay the start of school for two hours or close all schools for the day. The procedure is as follows:
- Parents will be contacted about delays and closures by email, text, or phone (whichever is indicated in your Parent Portal Account).
- Local radio/TV stations will be informed no later than 5:30 a.m. that the starting time for District 20 schools will be delayed by two hours or will be closed.
- A two-hour delayed start means that school will begin at 10:45 a.m. “Before school” activities will not be held.
- Morning kindergarten students should arrive at the 10:45 a.m. two-hour delay time.
- If the weather continues to worsen, a decision may be made to cancel school for the entire day. The notification for a closure will be made as mentioned above.
- Breakfast is not served on the days that we have a two-hour delay.
- If school is in session and a storm develops during the day, a decision may be made to send students home early. Notification of parents will be made by email, text or phone (whichever is indicated in your Parent Portal Account.) Radio and TV stations will also be notified and announcements will be made. Parents should make previous arrangements so that their children know where to go or what to do in case of an early release. In your Parent Portal Account under Emergency Contact Information, there is a place to indicate what your child is to do in case of an Early Release.
SEVERE WEATHER (LIGHTNING OR HAIL) AT THE CLOSE OF SCHOOL
During a lightning dismissal, students are escorted to the gym by their teacher. Bus riders will be in line by bus number for bus pickup in front of the school. All other students (walkers and car pick up students) are supervised in the gym, sitting in line with their teacher, until their parents pick them up or the “all clear” announcement is made.